Are you sure you want to report this content?
Illustration by @_ximena.arias
Coughing is a natural bodily feature, but it may become bothersome when it lasts for a prolonged period. Coughing can be unpleasant at times, but it serves an important function. It not only causes mucus and foreign material to rise to the surface of your airways, irritating your lungs. Coughing may also be a sign of infection or inflammation.
Therefore neglecting it can be troublesome. This is when you need a cough doctor specialist.
What can all be done in this treatment?
Let's find out!
Chronic cough has a variety of causes.
The following are the most common causes of chronic cough:
• acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
• chronic bronchitis or other types of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
• infections, such as pneumonia or acute bronchitis postnasal drip asthma, particularly cough-variant asthma, which causes a cough as the main symptom of acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
• chronic bronchitis or other forms of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
• ACE inhibitors are drugs that are used to treat elevated blood pressure
• People who smoke
Signs and Symptoms
Coughing is usually caused by something irritating the airways, causing the chest and stomach muscles to contract. The glottis, which protects the airways, opens easily due to the irritation, allowing air to rush out. Coughing is the consequence.
Coughs may be either dry or wet. A dry cough does not contain mucus and is thus ineffective. Cigarette smokers and others who take ACE inhibitors are more likely to have a dry cough. A cough that contains mucus or sputum is known as wet cough. This is the case when a person has postnasal drip or cystic fibrosis where you would need a cough doctor specialist.
What is the cure for a persistent cough brought on by a medical condition?
The cure for chronic cough focuses on the source of the problem. Over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicines containing guaifenesin and dextromethorphan. This can help relieve symptoms (these can be found as cough syrups in tablet form).
Treatments for chronic cough and chronic cough specialist caused by drugs, illnesses, or diseases are listed below.
1. Asthma: Inhaled bronchodilators and steroids are used to minimize wheezing and reduce inflammation of the airways. Short-term oral steroids are also used to treat persistent cough.
2. Treatment for chronic cough caused by gastroesophageal: reflux disease (GERD) includes avoiding foods that cause reflux, avoiding meals before lying down, elevating the head while sleeping, and taking medications such as famotidine (Pepcid), cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC), lansoprazole, rabeprazole (Aciphex)
3. Other Treatments: Avoiding foods that cause GERD, such as caffeine, citrus fruits, tomato-based foods, high-fat foods, chocolate, or peppermint, sleeping with the head of the bed elevated, or using extra pillows to lift the head taking drugs, such as cimetidine (Tagamet) or famotidine (Pepcid)
4. Postnasal drip: It is a form of postnasal bead that occurs. Decongestants can dry up secretions. Antihistamines and steroid nasal sprays can help reduce nasal swelling by blocking the allergic reaction that triggers mucus formation.
Changes in your way of life
A persistent cough and other symptoms may also be reduced or even eliminated by making lifestyle changes. Among the improvements are:
• avoiding foods that aggravate symptoms
• After meals, stop lying down for at least 2.5 hours.
• consuming small, regular meals
• excessive weight loss
• smoking cessation
A recurrent chronic cough specialist may be diagnosed and treated by a primary care provider (PCP), such as a family practitioner or internist. If a person's cough is severe, an emergency medicine specialist can see them in a hospital's emergency department.
The ear nose throat specialist Singapore to see to assist manage your tinnitus would be an audiologi00
The patients suffering from any of such ENT diseases will get the optimum treatment at ENTdoctor.00
The sinus infection shows up as soon as the mucus is constricted within the sinuses,00
Part of the Life collection
Published on April 22, 2021
Characters left :
You can edit published STORIES
Are you sure you want to delete this opinion?
Are you sure you want to delete this reply?
Are you sure you want to report this content?
This content has been reported as inappropriate. Our team will look into it ASAP. Thank You!
By signing up you agree to Launchora's Terms & Policies.